Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Information on The three-toed Box Turtle

The three-toed Box Turtle is a resident of Missouri, but can also be found in Alabama and Texas. Three-toed box turtles are so named because three toes on the hind legs. Unlike other turtles that are ready to bite when they sense danger, these turtles shy and quiet. Three-toed box turtles are small and quiet, with convex hulls grows about three and a half to five inches in length. They do not bite.

These turtles differ from the eastern box turtles in color, with dull and / or muted tones, instead of the usual dark colors. They have brown skin, and their heads and legs often yellow or orange spots. The bottom scale, which is the plastron, is a straw yellow color and fewer dark spots.

This type of box turtle is a good species like turtles, and therefore they are very prominent in the pet trade. They have a lifespan of 100 years, unfortunately, their typical life in captivity, reduced to only 30 to 40 years, all because of poor husbandry. It is strongly recommended that the three-toed box turtle should be kept outside, make sure that the case resembles its natural habitat where some sunlight and some may get partial shade. Their housing should be large enough to give them room to cave. The surface must be covered with leaves and plants as ferns, provide shade. Do not forget a water bowl large enough not only to drink but a pleasant place to enjoy both.

Humidity is a major problem for these species, so the beds (which can newspaper) to 80 percent humidity. To do this, simply spraying the litter in the area to dry. Do not put gravel or sand in the closet because they can be abrasive and may in particular the many injured turtles. Additionally, you should give them a basking temperature of 88 ° C.

This type of box turtle can be kept indoors. In fact, the only kind of box turtle are adaptive and can live in an indoor facility. They should not be placed in a glass aquarium anyway. They must have visual barriers. Instead, place them in a wooden cabinet, and ensure that they
submerged and soaking area.

Turtles belong to this family are omnivorous. Their diet consists of 60 percent or more of animal matter. These include caterpillars, pink mice, crickets, snails, woodlice, shredded chicken, spiders, crawfish, worms and carrion. The remaining 40% of their diet consists of boiled (and, of course, mashed) potatoes, fruit (melons, apples and bananas) and green leafy vegetables like cabbage and lettuce. Feed boy and little turtles once a day, and large turtles three to four times a week. Obesity is also a source of concern among the turtles, so beware that they are not overfed.

No comments:

Post a Comment