Thursday, August 26, 2010

Did you know the fact that shelter dogs also need all possible help and support they can get

Two months ago I decided it was time for me to take a second dog. I fell into the local shelter a few times a week to visit the dogs. Our local shelter is called a human society, but no room for idealistic people at all times. In other words, has exceeded some times the capacity of the facilities and saw some dogs get put down to make room for newcomers. This is one of many reasons that some people are reluctant to volunteer their time at the Maui Humane Society. It is heartwrenching to have been a dog a couple times a week and go back next week and discover the dog was "put down".
After many visits to a dog named Laura, a Chihuahua mix (poi dog as we say here - that is mixed race), I decided that I really liked her. I learned everything I could from the staff about its history. She was eight years old. A man had given her when she was about to have puppies. The puppies were created out so Laura was able to regain his strength. She was completely healthy.
It is a big decision as a person to choose a dog. A dog is a big responsibility. A dog can lead to exit heartache. I had a Chihuahua in two years. Her name was Nai'a. She had died as a result of an attack by a pitbull. I wanted to be sure before I decide to adopt another dog out. I took a little too long. Laura Another before me.
I am visiting the humane society once a week now. It's so hard to do all the dogs who need homes need love, attention, food, shelter and education to see. Last, each kennel or cage at the Maui Humane Society has two or three dogs in it because the profit is almost exclusively of capacity. The dogs have a record of information about their kennel door, saying that crossed a beautiful lady or a nice man she found wandering around the island, hunger and thirst, and brought them to the shelter to be adopted. Some of the dog kennel notes instead of saying that the owner brought them in and handed them over because they no longer can care for the animals.
It is sad and amazing how many abandoned dogs are housed in the Maui Humane Society in the last few months. On Maui Foreclosures have increased in recent years. The staff of the Public Health Service see the connection between people lose their homes and leave their dogs. A large number of people who lose their homes to foreclosure to leave the island.
Today when I went there to the Maui Humane Society had several dogs that I love. A newcomer was really nervous. She looked like a miniature Red Setter although I believe there is no such thing. This little dog around 20 pounds in weight, was brought by her owner, along with one of her puppies. I am glad that the owner had compassion to bring the animals when they could no longer care for them. Another new dog was a little Chihuahua, ten years old, who was found wandering around the island. The staff of the Humane Society named her Lulu. Does anyone own these dogs for several years and then think they actually had their beloved dog a favor by walking around loose, thirsty and hungry, with a view of dehydration and starvation? This dog was only six pounds and could be lunch for a larger dog that is in the fields. The owners of the little Chihuahua could not possibly have just "lost" her. There is only a dog shelter to the main call us to inquire about a lost dog. The owners are not asked whether they would be reunited with her.
Most Mauians who want a dog to adopt a shelter dog, a rescued animal, you get some purebred for $ 2000. Dog in the Hawaiian islands is very expensive - too expensive - ranging in price depending on the variety. The high prices are a result of supply and demand. There are many schemes for the introduction of new dogs on the islands, Hawaii has the longest quarantine each State. Generally, here people prefer poi dog. They feel right about making a pet rescue.
There are so many stray dogs on Maui, and many of them have a litter or a litter have to stand if they are stored. Fostering animals is time consuming and a lot of work but some people offer to do here that - as thousands of people in other places across America. Thank God for this caring, compassionate souls.
I went for a walk at sunset this evening at one of the grassy beach parks, where many dogs walking their dog rescuers. They are people who two, three or four dogs like to play with each other. The dog rescuers proposal to everything and everyone they meet, "adopt a shelter dog not a dog or adopt a puppy adoptions, which helps abandoned animals." Many of the same people volunteer on Maui Humane Society, where they act as foster parents for hundreds of rescued animals. This evening, after a pleasant chat with a group of these people - and none of us ever remembered to speak - one of them asked me the name of the white Chihuahua named I would have. I said her name was Nai'a. All four men said to each other or to me - run - "Oh, Nai'a. Yes, I saw Nai'a. Nai'a know who I was." Talk about dog lovers! They do not know me, man who was at the other end of the tape but they remember my dog - when they hear me say her name.

No comments:

Post a Comment